Friday, March 07, 2008

And another thing

I can't think of a "D" for the ABC along to save my life. Everything seems so obvious. There's my husband, "D"oug, my "D"og(s), myself, "D"ebbie, my cat "D"ustBunny. But where's the creativity in those? Now, it's time for "E" and I'm still stuck on "D". Wait, I feel a song coming on. Anyone out there play the guitar?

Oh, and I've been elected "D"elegate for Barrack Obama, since I'm a "D"emocrat.

Oh, oh wait (remember "Welcome Back Kotter"? who was that kid always raising his hand?) I know

"D" is for DEMOCRATS





These pictures were snapped at the rally after the Texas caucus's. I was chosen to be a delegate for Obama! At the caucus I was given a pass by two of Obama's workers for the rally. My husband and I high tailed it to downtown San Antonio so we could be in a good position to see Barrack Obama. I was beyond excited. At that point, I was just certain he had taken Texas. Alas, I was wrong as to the popular vote but he did take the caucus. What a strange system we had.

We were able to obtain seats in the grandstands because some students from my university were in charge. They gave us the go ahead to sit in the grandstand and after waiting an hour and a half before Barrack Obama came out, I was really glad we weren't having to stand the entire time. I had a nice time talking to other people in the stands and it was thrilling to be that close to Obama. Unfortunately, due to the camera lights I couldn't really see him, just his shadow. Still, I loved being there.

The caucus ~ what an almost fiasco ~ got off to a very rocky start. The precinct chair is quite elderly (not that there's anything wrong with that) but also quite cranky. Four letter words were shouted and the threat of police being called was given. The contention was the presence of two young workers for the Obama campaign. They were there to help but the elderly precinct chair did not take kindly to them or their help. We had 127 people show up, 49 votes for Hillary Clinton and 78 for Barrack Obama. Everyone I spoke to at the rally said that Obama had won their caucus so I was really surprised that Clinton had been given the popular vote. Strange.

Somewhere in this crowd is, I hope, the next president of the United States

Edited it add:
Immediately, and I do mean immediately, after posting this, a story came on NPR about the Texas caucus. A woman told the story of my very own precinct caucus. What a coincidence! So, if you listen to NPR anytime on Friday and hear someone talking about a caucus in San Antonio, that's the one!

5 comments:

Courtney said...

I remember the slightly whiny kid from Welcome Back Kotter who was always raising his hand, but I can't remember his name...I'm pretty sure it was either Juan Epstein the Puerto Rican Jew, or Horshack.

LisaBe said...

horshak. definitely arnold horshak. played by ron pallilo, who later guested as himself on "ellen," in a recurring role.

Debby said...

How great for you to be a Delegate. We need a change and Obama is the one to do it. May comments may appear twice as I was up all night doing tax papers...for what I say..to make me poorer

Anonymous said...

Debbie -

This is Amy, your Longing For Spring Swap coordinator. The person you are spoiling has informed me that she has not heard from you or received a package. Please email me ASAP at
alynn_turk AT yahoo DOT com

Thanks!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Come on Debbie! We need one more pair of zombies to finish out the Baylor division!