I've been catching up on blogs this morning and noticing that many are thanking their significant others for Valentine's Day. I want to tell you about my sweet husband.
Yes, I got some beautiful roses for the day. And, yes, he made reservations and took me to the special restaurant that I wanted to go to. But more than that ... this special man has done double, triple, quadruple duty over the past year. As our precious Simon has become more and more crippled, Doug has taken over his care. That entails taking him out sometimes in the middle of the night, in the cold and rain and holding him in place while he does (the dog, I mean) his business. Doug often ends up getting peed on and sometimes worse. Simon has to be held up while he eats and drinks, too, and most of the time (99% of the time) Doug is the one who does this. Some of that is just practical. Simon weighs about 75 pounds and he's hard for me to haul around. But even if it weren't just a practical matter, Doug would do it because that's just the wonderful man he is.
Then, recently, there was the lovely tumor scare for me. Doug kept an optimistic outlook even though he let me know how worried he was after we got the news that there isn't anything growing in my brain . Wednesday morning, he sat in the examining room with me while the doctor poked holes in my ears, acting as my comfort and strength.
To top everything off, last night after our wonderful and romantic dinner, Simon had a pooping accident on his bed that had to be cleaned up. At the same time one of the cats threw up in the living room. As I was already in bed, Doug took care of all of it, all without a single complaint or even an expletive.
And just a few minutes ago, he came in with a list of things that I need to take with me for my weekend away with the girls.
All the roses in the world aren't enough to show how much he loves me and how much I love him back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I think you're being too nice - there were some expletives . . . they were just under my breath.
Anyway, I love you right back, and I'd gladly haul your dogs around forever.
So . . . what're we doin' for next Valentine's?
Love,
The Local Dog-Lifter
You are SO right ... it's not what the husbands do on the one day, but what they do daily.
Mine is a rock like that too. G*d, I love that about him!
That is so absolutely sweet!!!!
Very sweet - and I agree - the day to day stuff is so much nicer than the flowers...
Sounds like the two of you know what really is important - glad to hear you are ok, too!
Post a Comment