A couple of weeks ago, a knitting friend decided that I absolutely had to be the one to hold her hand while she cast on her first ever Clapotis. She and another friend from our, soon to be closing, local LYS wanted to knit one and convinced themselves that it was a difficult knit. Enter, stage left, one well-tempered knitter.
I was designated to be the leader and so we all met at the other friend's (friend #2) house two Tuesdays ago. I had only met this woman once or twice when she I ran into her at the LYS. I knew nothing about her except that she had a really cute little dog that everyone loved.
Well, that Tuesday, two weeks ago, a new friendship was formed. We knitted in bliss at her house, helped out by generous servings of pizza and wine (not necessarily in that order).
Today, after I finished teaching, I met the two of them at a local coffee bar (Not a starbucks!) and we knitted the afternoon away. It was so much fun.
These two women and I would most likely never had crossed paths had it not been for knitting. I just love that. I love that two sticks and string can unite people who just thought they had nothing in common. We knit and talk. Talk about our dreams of opening our own yarn store; talk about sex; talk about friendships, talk about ....well everything. And knit.
While we were knitting away, a young woman who works at the coffee bar came over and told us that her friend knits and is looking for people to knit with. Imagine, sans knitting needles, a twenty something approaching a group of forty/fiftyish women to connect with. Not bloody likely. But knitting, just like music is ageless. I just love that. Don't you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I love that about knitting, too. None of my friends knit, but one recently expressed an interest in learning and asked if I would teach her. I was like, heck yeah! I'd teach a frog to knit if I could.
I love that about knitting too - my knitting group is made up of the most diverse group of women - and it is really nice!
That is exactly how I met my newest stitching friend. I'm 52. She's 26. But, we have much in common including the love of knitting.
We would NOT have crossed paths if not for the needles.
Yes, I have friends of all ages because of knitting. It is an amazing craft.
hi nice to see you on knitblogs ring so checked in to say hi from across the pond .remember my 1st clapotis and I still wear it and love it.come on over and say hello to me
http://chrissieday.wordpress
Post a Comment