


This is what eighty candles on a cake look like. My mother turned 80 on December 7, 2007. I gave her what, we think, was her first birthday party ever. It was a brunch with twenty or so invited guests. Twenty four people showed up, several who weren't invited and then several didn't show up who had said they would. It was a load of laughs getting this thing together and I was an absolute wreck by the morning of. It turned out beautifully, though, and my mother had the time of her life, which was after all the most important thing.
My mother is difficult at best. She has been perpetually depressed my entire life but has refused to do anything about it. She and I have had perhaps five personal conversations over the past fifty years. I can count on one hand the times she's appeared truly happy and this party was one of those times.
It was a huge expense for me and a huge pain in the rear but, at last, I can say I did something to please her. So, "B" is for birthday.

No comments:
Post a Comment